Will A Guardianship Or Conservatorship Help Your Loved One?

Is an elder relative showing signs of incapacity? Does an older friend have difficulty handling his or her personal cares or financial matters? Do you have a child with special needs who will soon turn 18? If so, a guardianship or conservatorship may be appropriate for your situation.

What Is The Difference Between A Guardianship And A Conservatorship?

Typically, a guardian makes health care decisions for the ward — the person needing help — while a conservator handles financial matters. While it may appear obvious to your family that a spouse, adult child or close friend should act as the guardian or conservator, you must follow a formal legal process in order to be appointed.

Providing Skilled Legal Guidance For Families In Washington, D.C., Maryland And Virginia

At The Elder & Disability Law Center, our lawyers are highly skilled with advising and representing families in this area during intervention proceedings. Let us handle the legal details of this emotional situation so you can spend your time providing care to your loved ones. As your attorneys, we promise to:

  • Answer your guardianship and conservatorship questions
  • Guide you through the petition and court process
  • Help you comply with court orders

Applying For A Guardianship Or Conservatorship

To initiate the guardianship or conservatorship process, you must file a petition with the appropriate court. A guardian or conservator is appointed only if a judge determines the ward lacks capacity to take care of certain aspects of his or her life.

The petition and court process varies depending on where your loved one lives. State laws and the decision made by the court will also determine your potential risks and duties as a fiduciary — the person appointed by the court — as well as the level of control the ward retains after your appointment.

Whether you have questions regarding a legal guardianship for an Alzheimer’s patient or need to appoint an emergency conservator, The Elder & Disability Law Center will provide you with timely and effective guidance. We also provide sophisticated legal assistance after your court appointment as you manage your loved one’s personal and financial affairs.

Call us at 202-452-0000 or 866-399-4324 to schedule a consultation with one of our understanding and supportive attorneys. You may also contact us online.